| 
  • If you are citizen of an European Union member nation, you may not use this service unless you are at least 16 years old.

  • Buried in cloud files? We can help with Spring cleaning!

    Whether you use Dropbox, Drive, G-Suite, OneDrive, Gmail, Slack, Notion, or all of the above, Dokkio will organize your files for you. Try Dokkio (from the makers of PBworks) for free today.

  • Dokkio (from the makers of PBworks) was #2 on Product Hunt! Check out what people are saying by clicking here.

View
 

meetings

Page history last edited by shannon.carter@... 9 years, 11 months ago

Meeting Schedule: M, R--10:30-12:30  (302)

Please shoot me an email with your updates on your progress toward completing assigned tasks (or fill out the "Update/Comment" section beneath your name). 

 

Let's go with this rhythm for the duration of the summer--

 

Deadline for Tasks assigned MONDAY: Wednesday before noon

Deadline for Tasks assigned THURSDAY: at least two hours before our Thursday meeting

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

DUE NOON Wednesday. 4/25

 

NOTE: Everyone, if you did not grab the image/sound/video or timestamp you reference from the folder on St. Paul place make sure it gets there so Christina won't need to hunt for it. I'll do the same (SC)

 

Assigned to task  complete by deadline  NOT complete by deadline 
sunchai 

another draft of poster for TWU conference (to Shannon Tuesday, which she will then share with Christina and help revise for another look. We'll try to get this finalized so Shannon can get it to Kinkos in time for pick up Thursday.

 

add suggested timestamps (plus short exerpt from OH) to carry along narrative represented in current storyboard. Destination for Dreams Storyboard 7 Reconciled.docx timestamps.docx throughout Part II (save your storyboard draft as "BillofSale7Sunchai" BillofSale7Sunchai so we can separate it from the others and Kelly and I can pull from it in creating a vialble storyboard for Part II between noon Wednesday and our Thursday meeting.

 

 
Jennifer 

Art for Part I-II

Lovely B-roll footate Part II 

anything else you want to add/change

 

Destination for Dreams Storyboard 7 Reconciled.docx timestamps.docx (save your storyboard draft as "BillofSale7Jennifer" so we can separate it from the others and Kelly and I can reconcile it.

 

 
Christina 

Finalize video #1 (WITHOUT Jamar new audio), upload to YouTube

Review Sunchai's draft of Poster for Friday and share changes so we can get draft finalized before noon Wednesday and Shannon can get final version to Kinko's for Friday event.

Part I of video #2!

 

 

Chad

add suggested timestamps (plus short exerpt from OH) to carry along narrative represented in current storyboard. Destination for Dreams Storyboard 7 Reconciled.docx timestamps.docx throughout Part II (save your storyboard draft as "BillofSale7Chad" so we can separate it from the others and Kelly and I can reconcile it.

 

 

x

x

Kelly

add suggested timestamps  for state, national, and /or international elements, drawing from the research you've been donig thus far (south africa? the rivers of blood speech, etc) to carry along/extend narrative represented in current storyboard. Destination for Dreams Storyboard 7 Reconciled.docx timestamps.docx throughout Part II (save your storyboard draft as "BillofSale7Kelly" so we can separate it from the others and Kelly and I can reconcile it.

   
Shannon

upload missing images for Part I (asap! --Christina, if you aren't able find what you need, go with a placeholder for now. I'm working on uploading everything mentioned on storyboard but not appearing at link. I'll make sure they are in the St. Paul Folder.

Review poster draft from Sunchai and get draft to Christina for review.

Begin reviewing storyboard for add/schanges. (continue until Thursday meeting)

   

 

 

DUE 4:00 Thursday. 4/19

 

Assigned to task  complete by deadline  NOT complete by deadline 
sunchai 

meet with Dr. Carter to share timestamps and related updates

   
Jennifer 

gather footage for Part I and additional B roll (at Neylandville, with Kelly)

   
Christina 

Record new audio from Jamar (morning at 9:30)

Finalize video #1, upload to YouTube and get update to Prasna, dvds to key players (including copies for Jamar and his mother, Noah, Carlos, Page, Cooper, and the project team)

available? 

 

 

x (but in regular communication about technology concerns) 

Chad

meet with Dr. Carter to explore next steps 

 

 

Kelly

Continued research for St. Paul

gather footage for Part I and additional B roll (at Neyandville with Jennifer)

review Conrad OH and timestamp?

x  

 

 

 

 

 

DUE NOON Wednesday. 4/18

 

Assigned to task  complete by deadline  NOT complete by deadline 
sunchai 

Review, timestamps for Gwen Lawe (walking tour, oral history, presentation)

Get remaining Lawe uploaded and materials for all of the above to Adam for DVDs

additional add:

x (including walking tour? is that avaialble?

 

 
Jennifer 

review footage for Gwen Lawe, walking tour (as soon as available)

review additoinal footage on st. paul as well, especially relevant bits from Opal Pannell

 

available? 

x

 
Christina 

Get Gwen Lawe footage from walking tour to Sunchai so he can upload it and get it to Adam along with other Gwen Lawe footage and burn to DVD with Thank You letter

Finalize video #1 (sans Jamar new audio), upload to YouTube

available? 

 

 

x (but in regular communication about technology concerns) 

Chad

Review, timestamps for Jim Conrad OH

Upload Q from St. Paul Reunion on "all black community" from Federal Writers Guide (the entire Reunion booklet should be in the NE Texas Digital Collections. Locate additional, relevant quotes and items worth pursuing for St. Paul Video

 

 

x

x

 

 

DUE 4:00 Thursday. 4/19

 

Assigned to task  complete by deadline  NOT complete by deadline 
sunchai 

meet with Dr. Carter to share timestamps and related updates

   
Jennifer 

gather footage for Part I and additional B roll (at Neylandville, with Kelly)

   
Christina 

Record new audio from Jamar (morning at 9:30)

Finalize video #1, upload to YouTube and get update to Prasna, dvds to key players (including copies for Jamar and his mother, Noah, Carlos, Page, Cooper, and the project team)

available? 

 

 

x (but in regular communication about technology concerns) 

Chad

meet with Dr. Carter to explore next steps 

 

 

Kelly

Continued research for St. Paul

gather footage for Part I and additional B roll (at Neyandville with Jennifer)

review Conrad OH and timestamp?

x  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Agenda, 4/4

 

Assets for I Searched (additional)

--Carlos: http://issuu.com/phalconstarnews/docs/khnnov152011

http://www.lionathletics.com/sports/genrel/2011-12/john_carlos_doctorate (I will get the ET one and others from Carleton Cooper, but he still has to find them for us)

 

 

Agenda, 3/29

 

1. Recording with Jamar

 

2. Request: Can we plan a "showcase" event for Thursday (a week from today) or the following week? We should invite Jamar, Noah, the group from the archives, Belford Page, Michael and Prasna, and others involved in the creation of this video so they can see it before we show it at EGAD. Explore this together as option and, if it seems possible, invite Jamar for this when he comes. We should also invite Carleton Cooper, especially if we don't yet have the Carlos images. We can use this an excuse for gathering them from him.

 

3. Schedule for April 13, EGAD; invite Jamar to join us, if available  (http://egadtamuc.wordpress.com/schedule/).

 

Also: Annual Research Symposium (next week)

Thanks, Christina! I'll cc you on correspondence with organizers.

 

4. Were all the images brought into the video downloaded from the least processed source available (ie, a direct link to the digital collections or a direct scan)? Were any of the images brought into the video downloaded from another source (like the digital collections), then uploaded to the wiki, then downloaded again for upload into the video? Each time we upload and download a digital source it degrades it, of course. So we want to minimize the number of uploads and downloads any single image goes through before appearing in our video. Otherwise the image will be unnecessarily degraded. I have also uploaded again some of the images on Carlos. We should be ableo

 

5. I have made some suggestions concerning layout of quotes and a couple of tiny tweaks for clarity. I will offer these in a screencast as soon as this article is in hands of journal editor tomorrow. Also there is that missing section of text ("Eventually I found them") before the "They were in the slave receipts"). other things were timing, I think, and rest. These are all minor suggestions and discussed here . . . quote-revision-3-22.docx

 

6. Watch latest version again (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDX45Zamatw&feature=youtu.be) and offer any additional notes for Christina.

7. Review start of storyboard for next video 

 

Destination for Dreams storyboard2.docx

 

We'll do this in four parts. Jennifer and I will pin down tight draft of Parts I and II, which we can begin developing and assembling next week.

 

8. Sunchai and Chad: are we going to be done with the complete citations for all our existing media for "I Searched" (Sunchai) and "Destination Dreams" (Chad) by end of week?

 

What else?

 

 

 

 

------

 

 

 

 

On my way to St. Louis! (shannon), but call me if you need me today at 9033661767. If I can't pick up I will ring you back when I can. I'll be out of pocket most of each day for the rest of the week but online off and on and can pick up messages on cell if you want to call it or leave any text for me.

 

--

Thanks everyone for your help getting the artifacts to Christina and to Christina for getting the video put together. I can't wait to see it!

 

GOAL TODAY: Review Christina's latest draft and other items Kelly has listed.


Check out the new template!
Also: check out the new template for the site--
http://web.tamu-commerce.edu/academics/colleges/humanitiesSocialSciencesArts/departments/literatureLanguages/RRT/RRT.html

(the link for video one does not yet go to the I Searched remix and I think we need a link for both the BLOG for regular updates and an ABOUT link (for details concerning the project beyond the info). But this will give you an idea of what Michael and his team are up to on our behalf).

We may end up with just the two videos in the end, but that is absolutely fine.

Here's the remix with annotations: http://web/academics/colleges/humanitiesSocialSciencesArts/departments/literatureLanguages/RRT/JamarMosley.html

It's happening, folks!

Thanks for pressing forward!
Shannon



http://www.flickr.com/photos/kschlot1/4653382898/

Woolworth instead of dog attack?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kheelcenter/5279610622/in/photostream/

Talbot: http://dmc.tamu-commerce.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/historic-et/id/3055/rec/2

(image in Professor Mayor’s College on page 172 is a better one of him but I do not know if we have or can get the original. I understand Jennifer was checking with andrea on that about all these images in this book –see next link)

Talbot: http://dmc.tamu-commerce.edu/cdm/compoundobject/collection/historic-et/id/3334/rec/1

Brewer image can be found in the james Byrd papers in the archives (we will need to get someone to pull those—I thought that had already been done—can you leave a placeholder for now and add this and the Talbot and moore image requests to the Archive Request?

Moore has several images in the Commerce Public Library. I thought those had been

 

Others to consider--

 

King: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kheelcenter/5279004483/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevensnodgrass/4384366585/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38513633@N00/5008191973/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nostri-imago/2841227269/



On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 4:56 PM, Christina Clay <christinaclay1342@gmail.com> wrote:
Shannon,
All of my emails keep bouncing back so I hope this gets to you. I don't know if CenturyLink is still having some problems because our internet has been up and down throughout last week and this week, and when we call they just have a recording that all customers in Texas are having problems. 
I'm still missing the images below:

Image of dog attacking child in AlabamaLittle Rock 9Dr. Ivory MooreDr. David TalbotDr. J. Mason Brewer
I've downloaded the higher resolution images of everything else.
Also, I'm not sure if Noah had an older version of the storyboard but I don't have his voiceover (VO) of the parts below:
Old South week was an event held each year by the fraternity Kappa Alpha. The male students emulated cavaliers of the antebellum period while the women dressed up in hooped skirts and dresses similar to the costumes in Gone with the Wind. They even went as far as holding mock slave auctions where fraternity pledges dressed up in black face to play the role of slaves. This event was finally moved off campus in (year) when African American students protested and eventually disbanded all together
Velma Waters was the first African American to enroll in classes and attend East Texas State University
Family and neighbors like Maydell Pannell and her children would soon follow
In the case of Brown vs. the Board of Education, Derrick Bell insists, "...as in the abolition of slavery, there were whites for whom recognition of the racial equality principle was sufficient motivation. But, as with abolition, the number who would act on morality alone was insufficient to bring about the desired racial reform". 
I'm still just using my voiceover for Jamar's part, but other than the above things the video is done. I know you told me that you needed it the Tuesday after Spring Break, and the other pieces that I'm missing will be easy to insert.
Christina


 

 

Agenda, 3/6

 

Timesheets!

Overview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNUaWEivkS8&feature=youtu.be (version before Christina's lastest round of edits--does not reflect latest storyboard or Ken Burns effect Still Searching Storyboard --sc2-forTuesday.pdf Still Searching Storyboard --sc2-forTuesday.docx

Additional items for Christina to incorporate into latest draft? add to Media Assets folder before before tomorrow morning.  We will work up another edit to share on Thursday (complete with new narration and footage from the archives?)

 

Media-Part I

Media-Part II

Media-Part III

Media-Part IV

 

 

 

Agenda, 3/1

 

Timesheets!

Overview March

meetings Schedule individual meetings (I can meet Thursday, 12:00-12:30, 4:00-4:30 or anytime after 10:00 and before 2:00 Friday

 

Christina at 11:00 Friday

Sunchai 12:30 Thursday

Kelly 12:00 today

Jennifer 1:00 today

Chad at 12:00 Friday

 

View remix and discuss responses to assignments below.

Discuss revision suggestions and popcorn needs.

Assign sectoins and complete popcorn and other additions for that section before we meet individually. Make any additional suggestions by Sunday midnight to give us some time to implement before Tuesday meeting.

 


 

for 3/1

 

     Your job is to tell us what additional things you'd like to see us consider for next draft of video remix and associated popcorn).

 

     1. Take a look at most recent draft of "I Searched" here: http://remixingruraltexas.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/51266942/I%20searched%20for%20Myself.mp4

     (if you can't view it, no problem; Christina is going to upload to a YouTube channel for easy view)

 

     2. Check out the popcorn template and various fields we need to populate with additional information: http://web.tamu-commerce.edu/academics/colleges/humanitiesSocialSciencesArts/departments/literatureLanguages/RRT/default.html     

 

     3. We are looking for two things (a) additional suggestions you'd like to see happen or be considered for each of the four parts of video remix represented in above draft and in the storyboard  (storyboard-2_Jamar.docx). (b) popcorn suggestions for various parts.

 

     4. Add to Media Assests (Part I, Part II, Part III, and/or Part IV) items for (a) added to video and/or (b) pocorn.

 

Media-Part I

Media-Part II

Media-Part III

Media-Part IV

 

 

NOTE: tomorrow, I will expect each of you will have added one or more items to above folders. If you can't view video, go ahead and add what you would like to see based on your reading of the storyboard. (above link).

 

A good place to look for stuff is in Kelly folder and Chad. DON't MOVE stuff from these folders!

 

Instead, do this:

 

(Option A): When you find something you want to share, go to the url for that item (found in address field at top of browser like you would most any website) and copy it. Then go to the media page you want ("Media-PartI" etc, as listed above), click "add link" (on second row of tools under "insert" and "table" and to the right of "source"). Paste the address in there and Voila!

 

In addition to link itself, it would be incredibly helpful if you'd also tell us what it is ans why you think we should include it. I'll do that with what I post between now and our meeting.

 

(Option B): Instead of pasting the direct link (messy), you can instead locate the item existing elsewhere on the wiki nd paste it in directly. (that's how I did links above other than long url for video). Go to "add link" (as above), then "Browse Pages and Files." Everything on our wiki is listed there and can be linked to directly from any page.



 

What's next?

 

During our meeting 3/1, we will discuss video draft and your contributions. Everyone should have contributed items to at least one of the above "Parts."   I except we'll continue to add items for popcorn through 3/6 (instead of St. Paul, which I would like to begin as soon as we feel very good about this one and ready to move onto next).

 

Friday, 3/2, Christina and I will sit down with a revised storyboard I'll develop utilizing the info you provide and the info I've already developed. Christina will hit that revision hard over weekend in preparation for Monday, when we'll meet again to ensure its ready for our viewing/discussion 3/6.

 

We'll invite Jamar for meeting then record archival footage with him and oral history interview (after meeting). We hope to get Noah Nelson to next meeting to record audio narration.

 

Then dive into next video.

 

 

 

 

By 2/23

Christina/chad: gather footage and audio from stand in (Kelly?) and pull together rough cut (Part I)

Me: complete relevant quote for Part I

Everyone: help Christina with assets for Part I and begin gathering Part II

At meeting 2/23

            View opening sequence with stand in

            Share assets collected thus far

            Overview Part II and III (short meeting 2/28) and assign sections

Major Agenda item: We either need to meet an additional day before spring break or we need to rethink following agenda. I am for an additional meeting so we don’t overwhelm. Possible?

Before 2/28

Christina/chad: upload solid draft of Part I to CLiC channel and ready plans for Part II (due 3/1)

Everyone: assets for Part II in Christina’s hands

Me: Q from Cox or CP on race as “absent presence”

Before 3/1

            Me: Q from Bell

            Everyone: assets for Part III in Christina’s hands

Me: q from Bell on difficulties of/with desegregation (check into quotes Kelly pulled)

Christina/chad: rough cut of Part II due to CLiC channel for review

At meeting 3/1:

            Preview Rough Cut, Part I and II

Discuss assets collected for next part(s) and anything remaining from Part III (which Christina should already have if at all possible)

Questions/concerns/still on target to meet deadline or do we need to schedule additional meetings?

Before 3/6 (or 3/5—if we aren’t here by now we’ll need an extra day or so this week before Spring Break and/or additional days the previous week!)

            Me: text from letter to the editor

            Everyone: assets for Part IV in Christina’s hands

            Christina/chad: complete video (Rough Cut) due next meeting!

At meeting:

            Preview Rough Cut, ALL PARTS to end

Discuss assets collected for next part(s) and anything remaining from Part IV (which Christina should already have if at all possible)

Questions/concerns/still on target to meet deadline or do we need to schedule additional meetings?

JAMAR should be at this meeting! Perhaps we can get the footage to replace the stand in here.

Before next meeting:

Everyone: remaining assets and anything else Christina needs to complete vid before deadline

Tighten Rough Cut as much as possible

At meeting:

            Share complete (though far less rough) Rough Cut of “I Searched”

 

COMPLETE DRAFT BEFORE SPRING BREAK!! Ready to share with Historiography course

As soon as we get back begin

 

 

Comments (2)

Kelly L Dent said

at 11:28 pm on Apr 18, 2012

I can do the Gwen Lawe thank you note. Christina won't have to burn the DVDs if we give the files to Adam in the Archives, he can burn and deliver them for us. I would be able to pick up a set of DVDs probably next Thursday from him for the people on campus, and have him mail out to Belford Page & McArthur Evans their copies. I also need the Gwen Lawe files on the drive for them to be mailed out, and McArthur Evans' newest talk for it to go out, too.

Kelly

Kelly L Dent said

at 11:46 am on Apr 25, 2012

I need to know where John Carlos is going to fit in the storyboard, so I can figure out where to bring in Verwoerd/Powell and the rest. Part III?

You don't have permission to comment on this page.